What better way to spend a Wednesday night in Toronto than meeting Ireland’s most lovely Celebrity Chef Clodagh McKenna, enjoying a beautiful Irish Christmas dinner complete with a glass of Guinness! Doesn’t get much better than this!
We were invited to Dish Cooking Studio for an intimate and interactive holiday entertaining event on November 28, 2018. Chef Clodagh McKenna shared her own personal holiday entertaining tips and tricks as well as providing a cooking demo of three holiday-inspired Guinness-based dishes perfect for the upcoming holiday season.
Check out exclusive interview with Chef Clodagh on our audio podcast.
Check out all the recipes here below.
Guinness Prawn Tempura
1. For the batter, sift the flour and soda together into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and Guinness. Whisk from the centre outwards until just combined. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
2. Heat the canal oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan until a breadcrumb sizzle and turn brown when dropped into it.
Dip the prawns into the batter
3. Dip the prawns into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil to deep-fry in batches for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. To make the chilli aioli crack the egg yolks into a bowl along with a teaspoon of dijon mustard and lightly whisk. Whisk the oils into the egg yolks slowly. The agile will begin to get thick and creamy. Stir in the white wine vinegar, garlic and chilli flakes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Serve the chilli aioli with the Guinness prawn tempura log its the rosemary salt.
Roast Pancetta Wrapped Turkey with Guinness and Chestnut Gravy
1.Pre-heat the oven to 4ooF/gas mark 6
2. If you are using a frozen turkey its best to thaw the bird in the fridge. A turkey will need about 24 hours to thaw for every 4 lbs. Take the turkey out of the fridge one hour before roasting to allow the meat to relax and come to room temperature, which will make the meat more tender. Next remove the giblets from the inside the bird’s cavity because these cannot be cooked with the turkey. Wash the cavity and dry completely with kitchen paper, then season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Fill the cavity of the turkey
3. Fill the cavity of the turkey with sprigs of fresh thyme, the cavity should only be filled half way to allow hot air to circulate and the turkey to to cook more evenly. Line the roasting tray first with the shallots, carrots, garlic and thyme. Place the turkey on top. This will flavour the turkey even whilst cooking.
4. Next stretch the strips of pancetta by rolling them with a rolling pin. Then arrange about three -quarters of the pancetta over the breast, overlapping the slices and wrap the legs and thighs with the remaining pancetta. Tuck the slices of orange around the turkey.
5. Lastly, place the turkey in the pre-heated oven. Then reduce the heat to 250F. After 45 minutes take the turkey out of the oven and baste the juices from the pan over the turkey. Cover loosely with tin foil and return to the oven and cook for three and a half hours. Continue to baste the turkey every 45 minutes.
Check to see if the turkey is cooked
6.Check to see if the turkey is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. The juices should run clear. When you have taken the turkey out of the oven leave it to rest for 30 minutes with a loose tent of tin foil to keep it warm. This will allow the juices to redistribute themselves giving tastier meat.
7. Once the turkey has cooked and is resting on a board then make the gravy. Carefully pour 4 tbsp of the juices from the roasting tin into a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour, followed by the Guinness chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 min, then whisk in the chestnut puree and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Strain the gravy into a jug, discard the herbs.
Guinness Maple and Ginger Pudding with Crystallized Ginger Caramel Sauce
1. Sift the flour and soda into a bowl with the ground ginger. In a separate bowl, beat the butter with the sugar and maple syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the Guinness. Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and egg mixture adding the milk to give a soft dropping consistency. Stir in nuts and raisins.
2. Spoon the mixture into a glass bowl, then cover with greased grease proof paper and foil, ,making a pleat in the centre of both. Tie securely with string. Suspend the bowl over a saucepan half filled with water over a medium heat. When the water comes to a boil reduce the heat and reduce to simmer. Steam the pudding for 1 1/2 hours, checking regularly to make sure that the pan doesn’t boil dry.
Next make the crystallized ginger caramel sauce.
3. Next make the crystallized ginger caramel sauce. Place the butter, cream and maple syrup together in a small pan and stir over a low heat until well mixed. Bring to a boil, simmer for three minutes, then stir in the finely chopped crystallized ginger.
4. Carefully tip the pudding on to a serving plate or cake stand and pour the crystallized ginger caramel sauce on top.
Don’t forget, The Wine Ladies Holiday Party For The United Way, Halton & Hamilton will be here soon!
Why wait? it’s less than 2 weeks away!
Date: November 8th,2018
Time: 7:00 pm -10:00 pm: 7:00 pm-7:30 pm red carpet/photo opportunities
7:30 pm-10:00 pm: Event program (red carpet, wine sampling, cocktail style appetizers, live auction, raffle, speakers, entertainment, fashion show, cash bar and taping of The Wine Ladies TV show.
Place: Noble Hall, 2273 Royal Windsor Drive, Oakville, Ontario L6J 7X8
Cost: $60.00 per ticket (includes wine sampling, cocktail style appetizers, fashion show, entertainment/speakers plus 1 ticket for a door prize of a sleigh filled with wine valued at approx $1500.00). Over $10,000 in prizes to be won!
Dress: Dressy /Tres chic
Coming up on today’s show, the holidays will be sneaking up on us before you know it, and our thoughts will start to turn to the many up coming festivities, lots of family and friends, great food, wine, perhaps a little gift giving and of course parties!!!
It is an exciting time of the year where we get to let loose a little and have some serious fun! There are however many folks, individuals and families that aren’t quite so fortunate. So we are throwing a BIG, massive, fun filled holiday party in support of the United Way Halton and Hamilton.
And you are all invited!
Red carpet, amazing food, wine, a His n Her fashion show. What’s hot, what’s not! And not only in what to wear but how to dress your holiday table too! We’ll have a sleigh filled to the brim with wine, valued at $1500.00 as our door prize and tons of other raffle prizes too!
Reserve the date November 8th! Happening at Noble Hall, formerly Otello’s in Oakville. Let’s raise some serious cash and help as many as we can!
The Wine Ladies Holiday Party
in support of the United Way Halton & Hamilton.
Get yourself red carpet ready for the holiday season. Coming up, November 8th, The Wine Ladies Holiday Party in support of the United Way Halton & Hamilton.
The Wine Ladies TV show “One Sip At A Time” will be shot on location at Noble Hall, Oakville.
Just in time for the up-coming festive season!
Join us for a fabulous evening of fine wine, food, entertainment, great prizes and stunning holiday fashions for him and her. Tips on entertaining for the holiday season, from wine, to trendy and easy appetizers to trimming your tree and decorating with the latest colours and styles.
Feel like a star as you walk the red carpet.
Savour the culinary masterpieces of Executive Chef Jonny O’Callaghan of Noble Bistro from downtown Oakville and Lorne Park. Sip on a selection of international and VQA wines.
As for entertainment, rumour has it that Tom Jones, Frankie Vali, Neil Diamond and even Bob Marley will rock the stage for your enjoyment.
Decorate your holiday table with style and class with tips from our decor expert, Elizabeth Law of Elizabeth Interiors, Burlington.
Ticket price is $60.00 support the UNITED WAY.
Enjoy all of the above plus a chance to win one of Santa’s sleighs brimming over with a variety of stunning wines over $1500.00.
or call The Wine Ladies at 416-716-8510
Live auction prizes could include a dinner for eight prepared in your home by Executive Chef Jonny O’Callaghan of Noble Bistro, a wine tasting excursion via limo to Niagara wine country, a Fall Fashion wardrobe for him and her valued at $1000.00, a stunning piece of jewellery from a renowned local jeweller and your home personally designer decorated for the holidays including all the trimmings, and much,more!
All in support of the very worthy cause the United Way. Help our Oakville chapter help our community. Bring a little brightness to the less fortunate and shine a star just for a brief time for those in need.
Date: November 8th,2018
Time: 7:00 pm – 10:00pm: 7:00pm-7:30pm red carpet/photo opportunities
7:30pm-10:00pm: Event program (red carpet, wine sampling, cocktail style appetizers, live auction, raffle, speakers, entertainment, fashion show, cash bar and taping of The Wine Ladies TV show.
Place: Noble Hall (formerly Otello’s), 2273 Royal Windsor Drive, Oakville, Ontario L6J 7X8
Cost: $60.00 per ticket (includes wine sampling, cocktail style appetizers, fashion show, entertainment/speakers plus 1 ticket for a door prize of a sleigh filled with wine valued at approx $1500.00).
Dress: Dressy /Tres chic
Many thanks to our generous sponsors for making this all possible.
IN KIND SPONSORS
Just docked at the LCBO in time for summer time, the La Vida En Colores Blue Hawaii.
Amazing time sailing Blue Hawaii style with our Captain and Piano Man David Johanns. Super beautiful night, started with a worrisome squall.. rain.. lightning….turned into a beautiful sail!
Great friends, beautiful food, wine, BBQ and entertainment!
You gotta try the Blue Hawaii wine cocktail beverage. Flavours of coconut and pineapple, lightly carbonated and well-balanced. Low in alcohol so easy to drink all night long. Only $10.50 per bottle. Limited time at LCBO so pick it up before its gone!
La Vida En Colores Blue Hawaii
LCBO#: 549584 | 750 mL bottle
Low in alcohol but high in flavour. Striking bright blue colour. Forward and aromatic with pineapple and coconut aromas in the forefront. On the palate, it is lightly carbonated with well-balanced sweetness and flavours of fresh coconut and ripe pineapple. Light, refreshing with a delicate sweet finish.
About the Sailing Vessel ORENDA
Caesars, Music, Food
We’re on the hunt for the craftiest and most delicious Caesar in Toronto. Known as Canada’s greatest BOOZY invention. Toronto’s bars, restaurants and venues have created their own versions of this National drink.
A panel of judges will be crowning Toronto’s Best Caesar.
Your ticket includes 2.5 hours of enjoying TEN of the most creative and delicious Caesars in Toronto. Created by the finest restaurants and bars around. Includes yummy food and drink tastes from local companies, live music and more!
Tickets are only $20.00!
Three sessions available.
1:00pm – 3:30pm
4:00pm – 6:30pm (SOLD OUT)
This event is 19+
Proceeds benefit www.hygieneonwheels.org
“TAKING LIFE ONE SIP AT A TIME”
EPISODE 72: Toronto Caesar Challenge in support of HOW, Hygiene on Wheels.
We ‘re shifting our gears, just temporartily away from the vine to an iconic cocktail. What is Canada’s very own cocktail originally created in 1969 at the Calgary Inn? This drink was officially named Canada’s national cocktail by Parliament in 2009.
It is the the spicy, scrumptious, red hot cocktail, the Bloody Ceaser!
Coming up on July 7th here in Toronto is the inaugural Caesar Challenge. Major restaurants, bars and venues around the city will all gather to create their very own signature version of this National drink. Presented to an esteemed panel of judges! Including us!! We’ll be part of the judging committee too!
What a great time it is going to be. All those Caesar lovers out there showing off their creativity, drink, fabulous food and music. It is going to be awesome.
This event/competition is a fundraiser with the proceeds going to the organization, HOW, Hygiene on Wheels.
Founded by CEO Deborah Daniel. This is truly an inspired initiative to help the homeless have access to mobile showers, and laundry services using retired mobile Toronto transit buses.
Wines from the Rhine… absolutely divine!
On today’s show we take you on a journey, along the Rhine River. A journey that will have you board in Basel, Switzerland, make your way down the Rhine river, exploring a variety of wineries, historical towns, works of art and the wine and food culture of the multitude of stops we make along the way. Basel, Cologne, Freiburg, rheingau, finding off in Amserdam, which happens to be the birthplace of our own father.
We are inviting you to join us this Fall, departing Nov 19th on The Wine Ladies Rhine River Luxury Wine Cruise. Our partners on this amazing adventure the award winning travel company Concierge Travel Group and Ama Waterways river cruise ships. In fact our ship the AmaKristina was just announced in the 3rd edition of Berlitz: River Cruising in Europe & the USA, as the #1 River Cruise ship!! We will be doing this trip in style.
Our first guest, Lorraine Simpson, owner and operator of the award winning Concierge Travel Group will be joining us on the show today. Lorraine will share with us a few of the details of the tour and paint a picture of all this extraordinary tour has to offer. Quite spectacular! Lorraine was recently selected as the winner of the prestigious 2017 Magellan Award.
Lorraine is calling in from yet another exotic location from around the world. Currently experiencing a Champagne dinner cruise in Bangkok, checking out her next tour! She is handling and pulling together the most amazing Luxury Rhine River Wine Cruise for The Wine Ladies. We are so excited!
Our guest was recently selected as the winner of the prestigious 2017 Magellan Award.
We would also like to invite you to a complimentary information evening we will be holding June 21st, 2018 at the Glenerin Inn & Spa in Mississauga. Lorraine and a representative of Ama Waterways will showcase this amazing trip.
Our next guest is a great ambassador of the Wines of Germany, Jurgen Hammer. Jürgen Hammer is the head of the Berlin branch of the German Wine and Sommelier School and market leader in wine education in Germany. He will share the history, the incredible landscape and unique characteristics of the wines of German wine labels. What do they mean? Plus….Contrary to what many believe Rieslings are not always sweet. A noble varietal that can ran the gamut from yes, bone dry to Berrenauslese, very sweet, but with incredible acidity.
Jürgen will be visiting Toronto at the up and coming Wines of Germany event, Riesling & Co. A night in Berlin taking place June 20th. He will be leading trade seminar about the wines of Germany in the afternoon. But you have an opportunity to meet him and taste an amazing array of fabulous German wines that evening for a consumer wine tasting Berlin style, being held at the Arcadian Loft in downtown Toronto. Your evening includes 100 German Wines to try…Delicious food pairings for German wines:, entertainment, swag bags and More.
For tickets visit wines of germanwinecanada.com
And finally, we’ll chat with a German winemaker and owner of Weingut Dr. Loosen. In 2005, Ernst Loosen was selected as Decanter‘s “Man of the Year. We will be tasting his Loosen Up Riesling newly available at your local LCBO. So much ahead, all coming up today on The Wine Ladies podcast!
Wed Jun 20 2018
7:00 PM (Doors 6:00 PM)
Wines of Germany presents Riesling & Co. 2018 ‘A Night in Berlin’
Experience the diverse styles of Germany’s world class wines, Berlin style!
HERE IS WHAT TO EXPECT
100 German Wines to try…
- Sparkling Wines Including German SEKT
- Dozens Of Rieslings From Dry And Racy To Elegant And Fruity
- Smooth And Silky Pinots: Noir, Gris & Blanc
- Spicy And Floral Gewurtztraminer
- Silvaner, Kerner & Muller-Thurgau
Delicious food pairings for German wines:
- Asian Flavours – Sushi, Thai, Chinese & Korean
- Modern Twists On Traditional German Favourites – Flammkuchen, Schnitzel & Wurst
- An Array Of Cheeses, Charcuterie & Breads
Live Music by DJ VAMOS
Graffiti swag wall by ASHOP Street Art
Don’t leave without your piece of the wall!
Please drink responsibly and travel safely. Take uber, a taxi or public transit. TTC: Queen Station
YOUR PERSONAL INVITATION
Please join us Thursday, June 21st for some wine and food as we learn about The Wine Ladies Luxury Rhine River Wine Cruise taking place this November 2018.
A represenative from Concierge Travel Group and Amawater Ways will be present to showcase the highlights of this amazing wine and culinary adventure while enjoying some wines of Germany.
We invite you to join us for a lovely evening.
Join these two charismatic and entertaining Wine Ladies as they sail along the beautiful Rhine River from Basel in Switzerland to Amsterdam in The Netherlands. Along the way join them on private excursions and special tastings. Compare old and new world wines a chocolate hunt in Switzerland of course. There will be plenty of shopping too along the way. We visit stunning towns with excellent ships and markets just perfect for holiday gift shopping!
Castles from ancient empires and steep vineyards sprout up from every angle, which makes cruising on the Rhine River feel like entering a scene out of a storybook. Wind through Switzerland, France, Germany and the Netherlands, diving deep into the history and wine regions of this vital waterway.
FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:
CONCIERGE TRAVEL GROUP
A Travel Leaders Consortia
For MORE INFORMATION take a look at the website http://www.conciergetravelgroup.ca/wineladies.html
International Rosé Day June 22nd, 2018
Its definitely rosé season when one receives a delightful invitation to The Consul General of France’s home in Toronto for a Rosé Tasting Reception. We gladly accepted Mr. Marc Trouyet’s invitation as rosé is enjoying a worldwide revolution and International Rosé Day is just around the corner, June 22nd. It was a lovely opportunity to taste some renowned French wines that are typically not available here in our market. The good news is that these wines are coming here soon!
Award-winning author and Wine Journalist, Liz Palmer was present to present the rose story and to guide us through a tasting of five different rosé wines. The wines were accompanied by an assortment of delicious freshly-made handcrafted hors d’oeuvres prepared by Chef Francoise Briet.