Strength in Champagne bottles

Dear Wine Ladies,

What is the indentation at the bottom of Champagne bottles called and is its purpose to strengthen the bottle?


Dear Tina,

The indentation found at the bottom of some, not all Champagne bottles, as well as at the bottom of some table wine bottles is called the “punt”. In earlier days the glass blowers discovered that this deep indentation made the bottle sturdier which Champagne bottles most assuredly would have benefited from considering their internal pressure of up to ninety pounds. In the bottles used today there is no longer a need for the punt although it may serve other functions.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *