Check out highlights from the weekend here.
Up next on this week’s audio podcast we welcome just awarded the 2017 Niagara Lifetime Achievement Award, President and Co-Founder Cave Spring Cellars, Len Pennachetti. Although much too young for this honour it however shows what he has accomplished and given to the area.
Cave Spring Cellars goes back multiple generations starting with Len’s grand-dad Giuseppe Pennachetti. He came to Canada from Fermo, Italy. At that time he followed his love of wine and in time planted the native Labrusca grape. He however knew much more was possible!
Cave Spring Cellars is known for being among the first to plant the vitas vinifera grapes Riesling and Chardonnay. The vineyards are situated on one of the finest slopes of the Beamsville Bench. Len and his father founded Cave Spring Cellars in 1974 and planted these noble grapes in 1978.
Believing in the marriage of wine, food and hospitality, Len together with his wife Helen Young expanded the company to include On The Twenty Restaurant in 1993. In 1996 they and later added accommodations to the equation with building of Inn On The Twenty.
Here is How To Enter:
Happy Holidays & Good Luck to all!
J. Lohr Los Osos Merlot 2016
So this week I went with a red wine today too. My pick is from Paso Robles, situated on California’s Central Coast. Georgia and I visited this winery a couple of years ago. We headed down the coast after shooting our show in Napa Valley.
So J, for Jerry Lohr, has been around since 1974, a hugely successful brand, one of America’s most known wineries, they have two wine centers now, one in San Jose and of course the one we visited. J Lohr is actually one of the few family owned estate-focused wineries of this size.
To the vino, you know me pretty well, how often do I gravitate to Merlot? Not that often right? So this time I did and I was super happy about the J. Lohr Osos Merlot 2016 $22.95 I cracked open when I got home!
So this Merlot actually has a substantial dose of Malbec in it, no shrinking violet this wine, bright, seductive aroma of plum and blueberry, full juicy dark fruit flavour and a lengthy finish.
Two Hands Sexy Beast Cabernet Sauvignon 2017
So my wine pick today comes from TWO HANDS WINES , founded in 1999 by two guys at a friends engagement party. That actually is when they decided it was time to make their own wine and market it to the world.
Fast forward, they are in the Barosaa Valley and have done extremely well. In November 2012, Two Hands was named in the Wine Spectator’s annual Top 100 for the 10th year in a row. An achievement apparently that no other winery can boast.
Kind of liked the name of this wine, Sexy Beast. I figured when I tasted this Cabernet Sauvignon from McLaren Vale, South Australia, maybe the name came from the way in which the oak and tannins in this wine are being tamed. Or wrestled down by the intense deep purplish colour, abundant red fruit, cassis and notes of chocolate…and minty spice. Mouth filling, a beast of a wine, coming in at 16% alcohol, wow… yummy! Sexy Beast is part of the Picture Series of Two Hands Wines.
Coming up on today’s show, we are talking about glorious food and drink from “across the pond” as they say. We’ll be covering from Ireland a feisty celebrity chef and an award winning whiskey. And from the UK a taste of England in a spirit you will covet. We promise!
We’ll start off with an Irish segment and an internationally known Celebrity Chef, visiting here in Toronto. She is Clodagh McKenna. You may have seen her on Rachel Ray ,on The Today Show or maybe even Marilyn Dennis. She is a TV Host, Cookbook author and restauranteur. How does she do it all?
She is absolutely divine and you are going to love her!!
So with the holiday season fast approaching Clodagh was recently here in Toronto to host an intimate and interactive holiday entertaining event.
The Wine Ladies were guests at the event and witnessed her Irish charm and fabulous cooking talents first hand! Clodagh shared not only her entertaining tips but also a few Guinness based holiday season recipes.CLICK HERE for recipes.
And then to our second segment we turn our focus to England and to the recently crowned “World’s Best Vodka” Chase Vodka, awarded in San Francisco. Chase Vodka is the first and sole British potato vodka on the market. Unique to Chase, it is truly a field to bottle spirit, with the full pedigree potatoes, grown, mashed, fermented and distilled on the Chase family farm deep in middle England.
We welcome head ambassador James Chase to the show. We learn a little about the company, what makes Chase so special, so smooth and so delicious! Perfect for the holidays too with beautiful packaging.
And to close off the show we are back to the Irish. Here’s one of the favorites of the boys in Susanne’s household, and that is Walsh’s Writers’ Tears Irish whiskey!
Our final guest today is the founder of Walsh Whiskey Distillery, Bernard Walsh. Joining us to share the story of Irish whiskey, from its earliest days, to now, how its made, how best to enjoy and what makes Writers’ Tears so unique and special. Bernard Walsh.
Happy Holidays everyone!
We’re celebrating the kick off to the holiday’s with our Spirited Holiday Giveaway.
Enter to win one of 2 prizes.
Here is How To Enter:
Happy Holidays & Good Luck to all!
A story from potato farmers to potato chips and crisps ( Tyrrell’s) to makers of the worlds fastest craft spirit brand, Chase Vodka.The incredible journey spanning 4 generations.
The potato farm is located in Herefordshire. A county that boasts some of the richest farmland in the world. It is here where they grow the King Edward, Lady Claire and Lady Rosetta potatoes for the distillery.
One of the best vodkas created entirely from field to bottle. This truly British vodka has exquisite quality and real provenance with 250 glorious Herefordshire potatoes in every bottle.
We turn our focus to England and to the recently crowned “World’s Best Vodka” Chase Vodka, awarded in San Francisco. Chase Vodka is the first and sole British potato vodka on the market. Unique to Chase, it is truly a field to bottle spirit. With the full pedigree potatoes, grown, mashed, fermented and distilled on the Chase family farm deep in middle England.
We welcome head ambassador James Chase to the show. We learn a little about the company. What makes Chase so special, so smooth and so delicious! Perfect for the holidays too with beautiful packaging.
On this week’s audio podcast…Holiday Entertaining with Celebrity Chef Clodagh McKenna, Guinness, Chase Vodka and Irish Tears’ Whiskey
What better way to spend a Wednesday night in Toronto than meeting Ireland’s most lovely Celebrity Chef Clodagh McKenna, enjoying a beautiful Irish Christmas dinner complete with a glass of Guinness! Doesn’t get much better than this!
We were invited to Dish Cooking Studio for an intimate and interactive holiday entertaining event on November 28, 2018. Chef Clodagh McKenna shared her own personal holiday entertaining tips and tricks as well as providing a cooking demo of three holiday-inspired Guinness-based dishes perfect for the upcoming holiday season.
Check out exclusive interview with Chef Clodagh on our audio podcast.
Check out all the recipes here below.
Guinness Prawn Tempura
1. For the batter, sift the flour and soda together into a medium bowl. Make a well in the centre and add the egg and Guinness. Whisk from the centre outwards until just combined. Allow the batter to stand for a few minutes in a cool place.
2. Heat the canal oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan until a breadcrumb sizzle and turn brown when dropped into it.
Dip the prawns into the batter
3. Dip the prawns into the batter and carefully add to the hot oil to deep-fry in batches for 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. To make the chilli aioli crack the egg yolks into a bowl along with a teaspoon of dijon mustard and lightly whisk. Whisk the oils into the egg yolks slowly. The agile will begin to get thick and creamy. Stir in the white wine vinegar, garlic and chilli flakes. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
5. Serve the chilli aioli with the Guinness prawn tempura log its the rosemary salt.
Roast Pancetta Wrapped Turkey with Guinness and Chestnut Gravy
1.Pre-heat the oven to 4ooF/gas mark 6
2. If you are using a frozen turkey its best to thaw the bird in the fridge. A turkey will need about 24 hours to thaw for every 4 lbs. Take the turkey out of the fridge one hour before roasting to allow the meat to relax and come to room temperature, which will make the meat more tender. Next remove the giblets from the inside the bird’s cavity because these cannot be cooked with the turkey. Wash the cavity and dry completely with kitchen paper, then season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Fill the cavity of the turkey
3. Fill the cavity of the turkey with sprigs of fresh thyme, the cavity should only be filled half way to allow hot air to circulate and the turkey to to cook more evenly. Line the roasting tray first with the shallots, carrots, garlic and thyme. Place the turkey on top. This will flavour the turkey even whilst cooking.
4. Next stretch the strips of pancetta by rolling them with a rolling pin. Then arrange about three -quarters of the pancetta over the breast, overlapping the slices and wrap the legs and thighs with the remaining pancetta. Tuck the slices of orange around the turkey.
5. Lastly, place the turkey in the pre-heated oven. Then reduce the heat to 250F. After 45 minutes take the turkey out of the oven and baste the juices from the pan over the turkey. Cover loosely with tin foil and return to the oven and cook for three and a half hours. Continue to baste the turkey every 45 minutes.
Check to see if the turkey is cooked
6.Check to see if the turkey is cooked by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh. The juices should run clear. When you have taken the turkey out of the oven leave it to rest for 30 minutes with a loose tent of tin foil to keep it warm. This will allow the juices to redistribute themselves giving tastier meat.
7. Once the turkey has cooked and is resting on a board then make the gravy. Carefully pour 4 tbsp of the juices from the roasting tin into a saucepan and place over a medium heat. Whisk in the flour, followed by the Guinness chicken stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 min, then whisk in the chestnut puree and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Strain the gravy into a jug, discard the herbs.
Guinness Maple and Ginger Pudding with Crystallized Ginger Caramel Sauce
1. Sift the flour and soda into a bowl with the ground ginger. In a separate bowl, beat the butter with the sugar and maple syrup until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, followed by the Guinness. Fold the dry ingredients into the creamed butter and egg mixture adding the milk to give a soft dropping consistency. Stir in nuts and raisins.
2. Spoon the mixture into a glass bowl, then cover with greased grease proof paper and foil, ,making a pleat in the centre of both. Tie securely with string. Suspend the bowl over a saucepan half filled with water over a medium heat. When the water comes to a boil reduce the heat and reduce to simmer. Steam the pudding for 1 1/2 hours, checking regularly to make sure that the pan doesn’t boil dry.
Next make the crystallized ginger caramel sauce.
3. Next make the crystallized ginger caramel sauce. Place the butter, cream and maple syrup together in a small pan and stir over a low heat until well mixed. Bring to a boil, simmer for three minutes, then stir in the finely chopped crystallized ginger.
4. Carefully tip the pudding on to a serving plate or cake stand and pour the crystallized ginger caramel sauce on top.
Lights, Camera, Action its TIFF2018 time in Toronto!
Its just a few more days ( September 6th-16th) before movie madness will strike our fair city! Yes, thousands of actors, film fanatics, directors, writers and red carpet celebrities will descend upon us for the 43rd annual Toronto International Film Festival… a.k.a. TIFF2018.
The future is here and it’s female! Second City presents She The People – a sketch show entirely created, designed, and performed by the fearlessly funny women of The Second City!
Tickets on Sale now! https://bddy.me/2LsQfuL